Water is life Art Contest
Each year, Western Municipal Water District (Western) hosts the Water is Life Art Contest for students in grades K-12. The contest provides an artistic avenue for students to express their understanding of water use efficiency and how they are staying water-wise.
Three winners from each grade category will be selected (K-5, 6-8, 9-12). Winners will receive a Barnes & Noble gift card:
- First place: $100
- Second place: $75
- Third place: $50
The winning students, and their teachers, are recognized for their efforts. Some winners may go on to compete in the regional art contest hosted by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for consideration of inclusion in their annual Water is Life calendar.
2022 Water is Life Art Contest is live!
Submission deadline: April 15, 2022
- “Water is Life” is the theme. Art will be judged on theme clarity, neatness/quality, and creativity/originality.
- BOLD, BRIGHT, BRILLIANT colors show up best! Students may use the following media: crayons, markers, pencils, paints, watercolors, chalks, cut paper, and/or fabric.
- Art MUST be drawn HORIZONTALLY (the requirement of a graphic).
- Words must be spelled CORRECTLY.
- Only ORIGINAL artwork will be accepted. No copying of others’ artwork, computer-generated, traced, trademarked, or copyrighted characters and slogans.
- Art should depict various water uses and/or “wise” water use at home or school, in industries or businesses, in the environment, in agriculture, recreation, or water use in health and safety.
- Artwork MUST be “truly” the hands-on work of the student and realistically represent the age, grade, and developmental skill level of the student.
- Submissions become the property of Western and may not be returned.
Alvord Unified School District
Murrieta Unified School District
Val Verde Unified School District
Private schools from the qualifying areas are eligible.
Contact Western's Education Program team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more questions.
Riverside Unified School District
The panel of judges is made up of local water professionals, school representatives, and artists.
Art will be judged on:
- Theme clarity - Water is Life
- Neatness and quality
- Creativity and originality
Note: All words must be spelled correctly.